6th grade science is working on all inquiry standards (6.SIA 1-8)which are:
SCIENCE INQUIRY AND APPLICATION During the years of grades 5-8, all students must use the following scientific processes, with appropriate laboratory safety techniques, to construct their knowledge and understanding in all science content areas
• Identify questions that can be answered through scientific investigations;
• Design and conduct a scientific investigation;
• Use appropriate mathematics, tools and techniques to gather data and information;
• Analyze and interpret data;
• Develop descriptions, models, explanations and predictions;
• Think critically and logically to connect evidence and explanations;
• Recognize and analyze alternative explanations and predictions; and
• Communicate scientific procedures and explanations.
These standards will be infused throughout the school year even as content changes.
The first week of September, we will work on :
6.ESS.5 Rocks, minerals and soils have common and practical uses.
6.ESS.1 Minerals have specific, quantifiable properties.