ing guidelines are used by Edgewood City Schools when inclement weather occurs. You can also find this information posted under the Parents link on the homepage of our website, under Inclement Weather.
The most important factor used in deciding whether to delay or close school is the safety of our students and staff.
The decision process starts early. School officials monitor multiple forecasting tools, travel the roads, and check the actual conditions. The City of Trenton, Wayne Township and St. Clair Township provide great service in clearing and maintaining our community’s streets.
- When inclement weather is a strong possibility or reality, one of two decisions will be made by the school administration: either we are on a 2 hour delay or we are closed. No announcement means "school as usual."
- When possible, we will attempt to make the decision to delay or close school by 10:00 pm, the evening prior to the affected day. Multiple modes of communication (see details below) will be used to notify our students, parents and staff by 10:30 pm.
- If we need to make the decision to delay or cancel school after 12:00 am, communications will be issued no earlier than 5:00 am.
- District offices remain open when school is cancelled or released early. District administrators, school principals, and central office staff will report to work when conditions are safe for them to do so. School building offices will not be open during regular hours.
- Edgewood City Schools will close on days when the temperature and/or wind chill are below -20ºF to -25ºF. Temperatures with wind chills in this range are considered dangerously cold if exposure is over 10-15 minutes. With students walking to school and waiting at bus stops, we consider this extreme cold a safety issue.
- The National Weather Service issues a Wind Chill Warning when wind chills are -25 or colder
- The National Weather Service issues a Wind Chill Advisory when wind chills are -15 or colder.
Communicating Closures and Delays
In the event we experience inclement weather resulting in a 2 hour delay or closing, we will issue communications to students, parents and staff through the following communication :
- Automated phone message will be sent out from our district emergency phone notification system. (Note: Calls issued through our district emergency phone notification system may take up to two hours to be delivered).
- District website: www.edgewoodschools.com
- Local television, radio and sister stations (Our district is announced as EDGEWOOD CITY SCHOOLS):
- WLW/TV CH 5
- WCPO/TV CH 9
- WKRC/TV CH 12
- WXIX/TV CH 19
- WSTR/TV CH 64
- WLW/AM 700
- WCKY/AM 1530